Should You Have a Home Inspection Before Selling Your Home?
There are lots of ways to make more money in this real estate market but one of the best ways is to have a home inspection before selling your home. Any home that has been pre-inspected removes the doubts from your buyers mind. It also allows them to feel good about paying you a higher price. As the seller, you end up with a transaction that will more than likely close as scheduled. And in the end, you’ll put more money in your pocket.
3 top reasons for conducting a home inspection before selling
- If the house has been unoccupied for a period of time – especially in the case of a vacant home, such as a house in an estate situation. Or maybe it’s your mom’s house and you don’t have all the information you need to sell it.
- If your house is over 15 years old – there are many components of a 15 year old home that are close to the end of their intended lives. I have sellers tell me all the time their house is in perfect condition. Those are the houses that generally fail the home inspection miserably.
- If you haven’t maintained your home on a consistent basis – if you don’t routinely have your furnace and air conditioning serviced and typically wait until things break down, a home inspection could help you know the problems up front, if any.
Selling your home comes down to the basics. But a lack of home maintenance is the biggest reason a house “flips” – in other words, it goes under contract and comes back on the market after inspections. After the inspections are complete, the buyers and sellers renegotiate the sales contract. Many times, there are too many repairs to be made and the buyers feel overwhelmed with the thought that they might be buying a money pit.
At the same time, the sellers think the buyers are being ridiculous. After all, the sellers have lived there for 15 years and nothing has gone wrong.
By having a home inspection before selling your home:
- you’ll be fully prepared for what’s about to come
- you enable the buyer to enter into the sales contract feeling good about things
- you save yourself a potential price reduction after your contract falls apart the 1st time
Once your house goes under contract and comes back on the market after the home inspections, there is an automatic stigma that makes other agents and their buyers want to steer clear. At that point, it seems as though the only way to get continued interest in your home is to reduce the price significantly – somewhere between $5,000 – $10,000.
Doesn’t it make good sense to spend a few hundred dollars to give yourself and your potential buyers peace of mind that they are getting a sound house? Buyers have every right to conduct their own inspections but as a seller, you should also feel good entering into a contract. Doing a little preparation upfront is another way to know that your transaction will go through. You’ll be on your way to your next stop in life, faster and with less stress.
If you’re thinking of selling, call me at (913) 515-3250 or contact me here for a private consultation to further discover what it’s going to take to get top dollar for your house.
Click here for an INSTANT LOCAL NEIGHBORHOOD REPORT versus the Zillow Zestimate.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
$625,000 : 9500 W 175th Street, Overland Park3 beds, 2.1 bathsListed with Crown Realty
$1,800,000 : 17209 Goddard Street, Overland Park6 beds, 5.1 bathsListed with Weichert Realtors Graham Welch
$1,500,000 : 17213 Goddard Street, Overland Park5 beds, 5.1 bathsListed with Weichert Realtors Graham Welch
$289,500 : 15209 Marty Street, Overland Park3 beds, 2.1 bathsListed with Chaney Realty, Inc.
$414,500 : 13207 Carter Street, Overland Park5 beds, 3.1 bathsListed with The Realty Dot Inc
$120,000 : 5206 Goodman Lane, Overland Park3 beds, 2 bathsListed with Greater Kansas City Realty
$387,000 : 16260 High Drive, Overland Park5 beds, 4.1 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Leawood
$339,900 : 7919 W 118th Place, Overland Park3 beds, 2.1 bathsListed with EXP Realty LLC
$430,000 : 14020 Linden Street, Overland Park5 beds, 4.1 bathsListed with ReeceNichols College Blvd
$759,000 : 16217 Belinder Road, Overland Park4 beds, 4.1 bathsListed with Lettiann & Associates RE Serv
See all Real estate in the city of Overland Park.
(all data current as of 6/19/2018)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.