Overland Park Spring Home Maintenance
The weather may not feel like spring, but your spring home maintenance is an important part of homeownership. Winter and cold weather can do a number on your home. It’s time to get busy and create your plan for your spring home maintenance.
Here’s your spring home maintenance checklist:
- Wood rot – take some time and walk around the exterior of your home. Grab a screwdriver and look for areas on your decks, spindles, doors, trim and especially around your windows. If the area looks soft, poke it with your screwdriver. If it goes in easily, you probably have wood rot that needs to be repaired or replaced. Allowing water to get in behind your siding will cause you bigger problems later.
- Gutters – clean your gutters so the spring rains can get through. Check the downspouts and make sure you have a splash block under them or a downspout extension to direct water away from your house.
- Foundation – here’s another biggie. Check to make sure you have enough dirt around your foundation. It should not touch the siding but needs to slope away from your house so the rain water will run away from your home – not into your basement.
- Roof – check your shingles to see if any are missing, buckled or cracked. I have a roofer that will perform a roof maintenance evaluation if you have any concerns.
- Tools – now is the time to check your tools to make sure things are working. If your lawnmower needs maintenance, don’t wait until it’s time to mow the grass. Get out your power tools and get them ready for use. I have a list of other tools and how to prepare them for the season here.
- Detectors – if you haven’t checked your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors this year, now is a good time to do so. Here’s some more information regarding smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors that could save your life.
Appointments to schedule:
- Air conditioner check up – hopefully you are on a maintenance plan with your heating or cooling people. Get your spring check up scheduled now. Those guys get busy and you don’t want to be put on the back burner. Yearly maintenance will keep your systems running better and longer and will save you money in the long run.
- Termites check-up – you should do this once a year to make sure you don’t have any active termites. Even if your house has been treated, checking it yearly is always recommended. Those pesky termites can do major damage to a home in no time.
Everything on this list will save you time and money if you use preventive maintenance. Print this off and stick it on the refrigerator. It’s a good reminder that spring weather will be here shortly and you need to be ready.
As always, if you need any referrals to people to help you with your spring home maintenance checklist, just let me know. Remember, I also have a DO NOT CALL list of those so-called nice guys that advertise a cheap price and take you to the bank once they are inside your home. They have repeatedly cheated my clients! DO NOT fall for their gimmicks! Thank goodness my people called me and I had them get a second opinion! Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 to see if you are considering calling someone on my DO NOT CALL list or contact me here.
Want to know the latest stats in your neighborhood? Don’t rely on the Zillow Zestimate. Here’s a quick tool that will research your subdivision and provide you with a report within minutes – direct from the local Multiple Listing Service. It’s fast and it’s FREE! Click here and insert your address.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
$375,000 : 14413 BARTON Street, Overland Park4 beds, 3.1 bathsListed with Keller Williams Realty Partner
$633,500 : 15700 Alhambra Street, Overland Park5 beds, 4 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Overland Park
$300,000 : 13408 W 126th Street, Overland Park4 beds, 3 bathsListed with United Real Estate Johnson Cou
$825,000 : 8721 W 157th Street, Overland Park7 beds, 6.1 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Leawood
$455,000 : 14009 Hayes Street, Overland Park5 beds, 4.1 bathsListed with EXP Realty LLC
$210,000 : 9201 W 99th Terrace, Overland Park4 beds, 2 bathsListed with Coyle Properties, LLC
$584,950 : 15721 Cody Street, Overland Park4 beds, 3 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Wilshire
$620,000 : 15717 Cody Street, Overland Park4 beds, 3.1 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Wilshire
$555,555 : 11709 W 158 Street, Overland Park4 beds, 3.1 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Wilshire
$550,000 : 11713 W 158 Street, Overland Park5 beds, 5 bathsListed with ReeceNichols Wilshire
See all Real estate in the city of Overland Park.
(all data current as of 12/13/2018)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.