Home Size1,592 sq ft
Days on Market1
Overland Park Home Maintenance: Home Safety
Home Inspectors always remind me of the importance of having working smoke alarms as well as carbon monoxide detectors in your home – they are all part of your Overland Park home safety plan. The evening news proves that point. It’s stated that around 2,500 people are killed in their home each year from fire. Another 500 die from the silent killer – carbon monoxide.
Any home with gas appliances such as a stove, furnace, water heater or fireplace can trigger carbon monoxide. It’s an odorless and colorless gas that will kill you without notice.
What you need to know for your home safety
- Have at least one CO detector on each floor of your home
- Have a smoke detector in each bedroom and on each floor of your home – either high on the wall or on the ceiling
- Don’t mount them in or around the kitchen or bathrooms where burnt food or steam from the shower could set them off
- Keep CO detectors away from direct sunlight and avoid breezy areas like fans or air conditioning vents
- Test them weekly
- Vacuum them monthly
- Replace smoke detectors every 10 years and CO detectors every 5 years
- Have a fire escape plan and practice it regularly as well as a place to meet once outside the house so everyone is accounted for
Most of all, follow the instructions from your owner’s manuals. There are plenty of options out there – do a little research and find the detectors that best suit your needs. Having the detectors is the first key in case of emergency.
This is your Overland Park home maintenance and home safety to-do list for this weekend. Please share these tips with your friends and family.
If you need help purchasing or installing your smoke detectors or CO detectors, give me a call at (913) 515-3250 and I will put you in touch with one of my guys that can help you out.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 7/18/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.