There may be many reasons why your house isn’t selling but I will share with you the only 3 that matter.
Years ago, Fortune Magazine stated that a house will sell for 3 reasons: the price, the way it was or wasn’t staged and the Realtor you choose. As a lifelong Realtor and Home Stager, nothing else matters. Let’s look at each of those 3 factors in depth.
- Price: One of the most significant factors affecting the sale of a house is the price. If your house is overpriced compared to similar properties in the area, it may discourage potential buyers from showing interest in your home. Many sellers want to start high to leave room for negotiation. Why? Start at the right price and drive the price up rather than negotiate it down. Even if your home is in a lousy location or next door to a hoarder, price fixes everything. It always has and always will.
- Staging a home and preparing it for the market is crucial for a fast sale and oftentimes with multiple offers. Within 10 seconds of opening the front door, buyers will make a decision about your house. If your house doesn’t grab them emotionally from the start, you probably won’t sell your home anytime soon. Buyers make their decision about your house emotionally and justify their decision later rationally. Going hand-in-hand with home staging is the condition of your home. Selling your home is show time. Now is your time to shine. Do what it takes to prepare your home for the market and you’ll be singing all the way to the bank. This is an emotional sale. Take advantage of it!!!
The last of the reasons why your house isn’t selling!
3. The Realtor you choose has everything to do with your transaction. From pricing, to staging, to marketing your home, if your Realtor isn’t on point, your home may not sell. When choosing a Realtor to sell your largest investment, talk to 3 agents before making a decision. I talk to sellers all the time that tell me home staging was never brought up when they talked to the Realtor they listed their home with. Then after a couple of weeks of the house not selling, home staging keeps coming up in the feedback.
Agents say things like:
- It just didn’t wow my buyers
- Don’t know exactly what it was but they just didn’t connect with the house
- Might need some home staging to give it more appeal because it didn’t appeal to my buyers
Recent Home Staging Case Study
I recently received a text message from a lady whose house was on the market in Leawood. She told me her son said she needed to have her home staged after being on the market for over 2 weeks and not selling. There again, she thought home staging meant bringing furniture to a vacant house. That’s not what home staging is at all. He told her there were people who worked with what you had to give your home a better home selling look. She googled home staging in Overland Park and found me. She sent me 3 messages in a short time frame (I was on an appointment) and finally told me what she wanted. After asking her a few questions via text, I looked her house up on MLS and determined it just didn’t do much for me. I responded that I could meet for a consultation the next morning and do whatever I could while I was there.
Your Home’s Photos Tell the Story
When I entered the house, it was exactly as I expected…it didn’t wow me at all. After seeing the photos online, I knew it probably had potential but most of the furniture was poorly arranged. Remember, the way you live in your home and the way you sell your house are two different ways!
What Was the Solution to a Home that Didn’t Show Well?
After thinking things through, I had a discussion with her of my opinion and vision. The kitchen and hearth room area was huge and had nothing to bring them together. Little did I know, she had a free-standing kitchen island that was stashed in the garage. We brought it in the house and I went to work searching for things that could be used in the staging of it. Between the island and changing the furniture in the hearth room, it brought the space closer together rather than having what seemed like a basketball court between them.
Clearing countertops and furniture tops is never anything I recommend because that’s not what home staging is. Agents will tell you to do that because they aren’t home stagers and it’s less expensive than hiring a stager. But at the end of the day, buyers want to see themselves living in your home and when it’s cleared of all of its personality, they don’t connect with it.
Since this seller had put all of her accessories away, I got them out to stage her kitchen. I ended up creating a coffee station, lemonade area, as well as a meal prep space on the island. Unfortunately in preparing her home for sale, she had stripped it of its personality. But it had a huge personality by the time I left. I was there for 2 hours and got the job done. Needless to say, we were both thrilled with the end result and she hugged me as I left:).
Happy Client Testimonial
Here’s what she had to say after we rearranged the furniture in her living room and hearth room/kitchen area and accessorized her house.
“Melinda did an outstanding job of giving my home a whole new look in just 2 hours. Amazing what she could accomplish by rearranging my furniture and using just what was in my cupboards. She responded quickly, communicated often and was easy to work with. I highly recommend her services.”One happy seller name withheld since it wasn’t my listing
There may be many reasons why your house isn’t selling but these are the only 3 that matter. Figure out your situation and address it now. Days on the market are a killer for anybody selling a house. Buyers are wondering why no one has bought it!!!
Don’t waste time sitting around wondering about the reasons why your house isn’t selling. It may need a little furniture rearranging or personality boost. Please text (913) 515-3250 and tell me you need some home staging and I’ll respond immediately or you can contact me here. We stage occupied homes and have been for the last 17 years! In as little as 2 hours, your home could have a whole new look.
Are you wondering if your home is priced correctly? Here’s an easy way to find out what’s going with prices in your neighborhood. Click here and enter your address and a report from the local Heartland Multiple Listing Service will be sent directly to your email!
Check out today’s new listings either below or in the sidebar. Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 to see inside one of these homes. I AM NEVER TOO BUSY to show you a house. Real estate is my main hustle after 35 years! Everything else I do is bells and whistles to enhance your experience!
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 9/21/2023)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.