Home Size5,182 sqft
Days on Market1
Easy Holiday Home Staging Rules
Now is the time to think about those holiday home staging rules if you are selling your home before the end of the year.
Selling a home in Overland Park over the holidays is different than other times of the year. Most buyers don’t want to see your holiday collections or decorations – let them envision their own.
Here are my 10 best holiday home staging rules for your home when selling over the holidays:
- Create some front door appeal. It starts right here. This is the most important of my holiday home staging rules. A simple, live wreath on the front door is classy. Add a big bow for major impact. Let them know this is just the beginning of a house they will love. Remember, love is the emotion that sells your house.
- Curb appeal is also important.What will your buyers see as they drive up to your house? This is where their excitement starts. Add a colorful mat (preferably a non-holiday one) outside the door. A big urn or two next to the front door is preferred. Add fake or real Christmas trees and decorate them if you like, just keep it simple.
- Keep outside holiday decorations to minimum. Yard decorations, outdoor house lights, and holiday collections are distracting so keep to a minimum or avoid altogether. Home staging is always about less versus more. This is especially true outside.
- Minimal decorations inside, too. Inside, one simple Christmas tree is always best, with simple white lights and standard ornaments in one color if possible (or no tree at all is preferred). Remember, not everyone celebrates Christmas. The more distracting your tree is – the less of your house the buyers will see. Remember, potential home buyers are not there to look at your stuff, they are there to fall in love and envision themselves living in your space. Loads of presents under the tree are sometimes hard for small children to resist so keep that in mind when your house is on the market.
- No stockings hung with care. Keep the mantle free and clear and uncluttered (as always). Let your buyers visualize decorating the mantle themselves.
- Replace, don’t accumulate.Wherever you add holiday decorations, remove the other decorations. Remove what you have before adding anything new.
- Fresh displays of flowers or holiday greenery can be added in the kitchen and dining room if desired. Go for one big, well-executed display versus lots of little things. Don’t go overboard with Christmas decorations in each room. Decorations easily turn to clutter which eats up equity.
- Be careful with candle displays and lit fireplaces– they cause accidents.
- Stow your holiday collections. Definitely don’t get out your collections of nutcrackers, Santas or other holiday display items that distract your buyers. These are the reasons buyers leave a house and ask their Realtor, “Was there a fireplace in the living room? I was so busy looking at their stuff, I don’t remember.”
- Bake up an offer. Freshly baked slice-and-bake cookies on the counter are a quick way to make the house smell fabulous and are a great way to win over the buyers – and hungry Realtors! Refreshments can help, too, so have some bottled water or anything else bottled or canned. Buyers get hungry and thirsty when out looking for the right house. Be sure to provide them with some napkins and it will keep them lingering in your home longer. Make sure your kitchen is spic-and-span spotless because while hanging out, they will notice everything!
Remember, selling your Overland Park home over the holidays isn’t that much different than any other time of the year. I sold 13967 W. 146th Street in Olathe on Christmas Eve with two offers for full price. Plus it’s a great time to sell since January is the busiest month for corporate relocations.
Use these simple holiday home staging rules to prepare your home. It will stand out from your competition so you win the home selling game over the holiday season. One more house SOLD FAST is good for everyone!
If you want to sell your Overland Park home over the holidays, I can help. My home staging strategies give your home that model home look all buyers want so it sells fast and for more money. Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 or contact me here. Scroll to the bottom to share this with your friends who are considering selling over the holidays.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 1/25/2020)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.