Home Size1,033 sq ft
Days on Market1
How Not to Sell Your Overland Park Home
It never ceases to amaze me that many Overland Park home sellers just don’t get it. And more embarrassing than that, many agents don’t get it either. It’s not like home staging is a new concept – it was “created” in 1973 by a lady who knew houses could look better when selling. I took her course in 2006 and became an Accredited Home Staging Professional Stylist. Where has everyone been?
After showing 10 houses over the past weekend, I just sometimes have to laugh. I’m embarrassed. “OMG – let’s go. This isn’t going to get any better.” And you want my feedback after showing your house? Come on.
Selling a house is simple but it’s not easy. Prepare, List, Sell. It’s the magic formula. It works over and over for those home sellers who get it.
Here are my 5 best tips if you are Overland Park or Olathe home sellers:
- Have a plan – what are you trying to accomplish? If you don’t know, start over. You’ve got to have a plan. We don’t need more inventory, we need more GOOD inventory.
- Be ready to sell – if your house is filled to the gills with stuff you can’t seem to part with, that doesn’t tell me as an agent that you’re going to be moving anytime soon. My buyers want to close in 30 days. Can you possibly be out? Probably not.
- Prepare your home to sell – would you just roll out of bed and show up and run a 5K? Of course not. It takes preparation. There’s a whole list of questions you need to answer. Selling your house is the same thing. You’ve got to prepare. And it’s hard work. But it’s got to be done.
- Pick up your stuff. Nobody wants to see your collections, family photos, piles of papers, or anything else for that matter. Buyers are trying to see themselves living there and yet you are preventing them from doing that. They are easily distracted by your own stuff.
- Step up to the plate and be ready. Selling your house is an event to me…it’s called show time. There’s no dress rehearsal, no guessing. If your agent isn’t sure and needs the approval and feedback from the entire office, get a different Realtor. Create your best model home look so buyers go ga-ga over your house, fight to get it and make ridiculous offers. Don’t know how to do that? Hire a Realtor who has a clue and is producing the results you want. Don’t hire a Realtor who has 30 listings. That just means their houses aren’t selling. I’m not knocking my competition. I’m only educating you on getting your home sold.
You are not only wasting your time, you’re also wasting my time and my client’s time when your house isn’t spot-on and ready to be sold. Plus the worst part is you are giving away your hard earned equity. My sellers tell me they want MORE MONEY! I get that. Why don’t you realize that your days on the market are only taking away from your own hard earned money?
The way you live in your home is your business, the way you sell your house is my business. Selling your house is simple, it’s just not easy. If you are Overland Park or Olathe home sellers and need help getting your house ready to sell, reach out to me at (913) 515-3250. My home staging services are FREE to my sellers and my sellers consistently sell faster and get more money than they were expecting. I’ve never had a seller tell me they wanted less money. My services are the solution to all of their home selling problems.
Search for your next home here.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 7/19/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.