Lot Size15,682 sqft
Home Size2,470 sq ft
Days on Market1
Overland Park Home Maintenance: Ants
If you’ve seen one ant in or around your house, you’ve probably seen thousands. You can typically follow their trail to find where they are entering your house. Whether you have them or not, here are a few tips to prevent them:
How to prevent ants:
- Seal cracks around your windows or in your foundation where they may be entering your house
- Trim trees, shrubs and bushes and don’t allow them to touch the sides of your house
- Fix any plumbing leaks that will tend to attract ants
- Correct the wood-to-ground contact if the dirt or mulch is in contact with the siding
- Rinse tin cans, soda cans, paper plates, etc. before putting in the kitchen trash can
- Take trash out of the house often
- Store your food in closed plastic containers and keep the lids on tight
- Keep your kitchen counters and stove top spotless
- Do not take food to other parts of the house and leave there. Always take your dishes back to the kitchen and dispose of properly.
Now that you know how to prevent them, here are some natural things you can use to get rid of them. Some of these tips will kill them, some will run them off. You choose!
- Draw a chalk line around where they are entering. They won’t cross it.
- Use white vinegar and pour on their colony. Hot water works as well.
- Cinnamon will run them off – whether you use the real thing or essential oil.
- Baking soda mixed with powdered sugar supposedly makes them explode.
- Borax and sugar mixed with water to make a paste – keep away from kids and pets.
- Spray with lemon juice.
- Coffee grounds will run them off but won’t kill them.
- Peppermint essential oil works wonders plus your house will smell fresh as a daisy!
Take some time this weekend to create a list of things you need to do around the perimeter of your house. It will probably be too hot to inspect but you probably already know what you need to do. Don’t wait too long as ants are looking for some relief from this heat as well and are dying to get into your house.
If you have any questions about the maintenance of your Overland Park home, please call me at (913) 515-3250 or contact me here.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 7/18/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.