Home Size2,785 sq ft
Days on Market1
Overland Park Home Maintenance: Mosquitoes
While attending the Central Exchange Garden Party earlier in the week, there were beautiful gardens of flowers to behold. Gorgeous flowers also attract mosquitoes. They’re much like you and me. They love a great garden too! They are attracted to sweet smells – especially fragrance.
Here are the top 5 best things to plant in or around your garden to keep those pesky mosquitoes at bay:
- Citronella – this is the main ingredient in most bug sprays and candles but you can also buy a citronella plant. Make sure you plant it in full sun and in a space that will allow it to grow as tall as 5-6 feet tall.
- Lavender – besides being a great relaxation and sleep aid, lavender is a perfect plant to keep mosquitoes away. Plant the lavender in pots or in your garden. Did you know you can also place the dried version in your closets to help prevent moths from invading your clothes?
- Basil – lemon and cinnamon are the best varieties but while you may love the smell of basil, mosquitoes hate it. Plant it, watch it spread and use it in your favorite recipes in the kitchen, while keeping mosquitoes away outside.
- Marigolds – they are not only colorful and will bring beauty to your flower beds and pots, they have an odor about them that repel mosquitoes.
- Catnip – planting catnip is a plus if you have a kitty, but beware while it may repel mosquitoes, you may be attracting stray or neighbor’s cats into your yard.
For more Overland Park home maintenance tips, check back every Friday. If you have any other remedies, please scroll down and comment below or contact me here.
Today’s New Listings – Homes for Sale in Overland Park
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 5/19/2019)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.