No matter the weather, it’s time to get started on your spring home maintenance. While we’re currently experiencing spring-like weather in Kansas City, Mother Nature will surely have winter rearing its ugly head one more time before it’s all over. So don’t get ahead of yourself but maintaining your home only increases its value!
Winter and cold weather can do a number on your home. It’s time to get busy and check things out. This is your March Home Maintenance Checklist for your home and is an important part of homeownership.
Here’s your spring home maintenance checklist
- Wood rot – take some time and walk around the exterior of your home. Grab a screwdriver and look for areas on your decks, spindles, doors, trim and especially around your windows. If the area looks soft, poke it with your screwdriver. If it goes in easily, you probably have wood rot that needs to be repaired or replaced. Allowing water to get in behind your siding will cause you bigger problems later.
- Gutters – clean your gutters so the spring rains can get through. Check the downspouts and make sure you have a splash block under them or a downspout extension to direct water away from your house.
- Foundation – here’s another biggie. Check to make sure you have enough dirt around your foundation. It should not touch the siding but needs to slope away from your house so the rain water will run away from your home – not into your basement or crawl space.
- Roof – look up at your roof and check your shingles to see if any are missing, buckled or cracked. I have a roofer that will perform a FREE roof maintenance evaluation if you have any concerns.
- Tools – now is the time to check your tools to make sure things are working. If your lawnmower needs maintenance, don’t wait until it’s time to mow the grass. Get out your power tools and get them ready for use.
- Detectors – if you haven’t checked your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors this year, now is a good time to do so. Remember, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors save lives.
Spring home maintenance appointments to schedule:
- Air conditioner check up – hopefully you are on a maintenance plan with your heating or cooling people. Get your spring check up scheduled now. Those guys get busy and you don’t want to be put on the back burner. Yearly maintenance will keep your systems running better and longer and will save you money in the long run.
- Termites check-up – you should do this once a year to make sure you don’t have any active termites. Even if your house has been treated, checking it yearly is always recommended. Those pesky termites can do major damage to a home in no time. Believe me, I’ve seen some horrifying situations due to termites.
Everything on this list will save you time and money if you use preventive maintenance. Print this off and stick it on the refrigerator. It’s a good reminder that spring weather will be here shortly and you need to be ready.
Need spring home maintenance service referrals?
As always, if you need any referrals to people to help you with your spring home maintenance checklist, just let me know. Remember, I also have a DO NOT CALL list of those so-called nice guys that advertise a cheap price and take you to the cleaners once they are inside your home. They have repeatedly tried to cheat my clients! DO NOT fall for their gimmicks! Thank goodness my clients called me and I had them get a second opinion!
Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 to see if you are considering hiring someone on my DO NOT CALL LIST or contact me here.
What is your home worth in today’s market?
Want to know the latest stats in your neighborhood? Don’t rely on the Zillow Zestimate. Here’s a quick tool that will research your subdivision and provide you with a report within minutes – direct from the local Multiple Listing Service. It’s fast and it’s FREE! Click here and insert your address.
Overland Park latest homes for sale
Check out today’s new listings either below or in the sidebar. Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 to see inside one of these homes. I AM NEVER TOO BUSY to show you a house. Real estate is my main hustle after 35 years! Everything else I do is bells and whistles to enhance your experience!
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 9/21/2023)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.