Staging Your Overland Park Home to Sell – What is that Smell? (Part 1 of a 5 Part Series)
Every home has a smell to it – and you may need to change yours when staging your Overland Park home to sell. The way you live in your home and the way you sell a house are two different ways. When you understand that concept you’ll better understand how you have to prepare your home to sell it in today’s market.
The days of putting the sign in the yard, the information in MLS and expecting your home to sell are over. MLS doesn’t sell houses. People do. You have so much competition when selling your home, you’ve got to stand out and be the best you can be. There is a whole laundry list of things you need to do to prepare your home for the market, but today we’re going to talk about how your house smells.
When you are selling your house, you’ve got to be cognizant of the way it smells and how it could affect a buyer who is walking through it. I’ve been selling real estate for over 25 years and I always think I’ve heard it all but every day I hear something new. As a matter of fact, I heard more than one of these while out showing houses on Sunday to 2 different buyers. Here are the typical things buyers say when looking at houses when it comes to the way it smells:
- What is that smell? (I already know what it is but I let them try to figure it out)
- Do you smell that? It smells like dog! Do they have a dog?
- Do you smell a cat – I’m allergic to cats.
- I smell smoke! Do these people smoke?
- This house has way too many plug ins – what are they trying to hide?
- I smell mold – do you smell it? Have they had water in the basement?
- It smells like teenage boys – gross!
- It that dirty clothes I smell?
- OMG, it smells like old people – I can’t buy a house that smells like my grandma!
On and on and on. Regardless of what comments I hear, when these words come out of my buyers’ mouths, I know at that moment that they are not going to buy that home. I always say, “if you can smell it, you can’t sell it.”
Need help getting your home ready for the market? Call me at (913) 515-3250 or contact me here. I’ll help you get on with the process of staging your Overland Park home through the sense of smell so your buyers will say, “WOW, it smells so clean and fresh, I’d love to live here!”