Now is the time to be thinking about how to sell your home over the holidays! What are those holiday home staging rules you should follow if you are selling your home before the end of the year?
First of all, selling your home in Overland Park over the holidays is different than other times of the year. Furthermore, most buyers don’t want to see your holiday collections or decorations – let them envision their own.
Above all else, be sure to follow the tips below to grab the attention of your buyers and allow them to fall in love with your home.
Here are my 10 best holiday home staging rules if you want to know how to sell your home over the holidays:
- Create some front door appeal. It starts right here. This is the most important tip of my holiday home staging rules. A simple, live wreath on the front door is classy. Add a big bow for major impact. Let them know this is just the beginning of a house they will love. Remember, love is the emotion that sells your house.
- Curb appeal is also important. Above all else, what will your buyers see as they drive up to your house? This is where their excitement starts. Add a colorful mat (preferably a non-holiday one) outside the door. A big urn or two next to the front door is preferred. Add fake or real Christmas trees and decorate them if you like, just keep it simple.
- Keep outside holiday decorations to minimum. Likewise, yard decorations, outdoor house lights, and holiday collections are distracting so keep to a minimum or avoid altogether. Home staging is always about less versus more. This is especially true outside.
- Minimal decorations inside, too. Inside, one simple Christmas tree is always best, with simple white lights and standard ornaments in one color if possible (or no tree at all is preferred). Remember, not everyone celebrates Christmas. The more distracting your tree is – the less of your house the buyers will see. Remember, potential home buyers are not there to look at your stuff, they are there to fall in love and envision themselves living in your space. Loads of presents under the tree are sometimes hard for small children to resist so keep that in mind when your house is on the market.
- No stockings hung with care. Keep the mantle free and clear and uncluttered (as always). Let your buyers visualize decorating the mantle themselves.
- Replace, don’t accumulate.Wherever you add holiday decorations, remove the other decorations. Remove what you have before adding anything new.
- Fresh displays of flowers or holiday greenery can be added in the kitchen and dining room if desired. Go for one big, well-executed display versus lots of little things. Don’t go overboard with Christmas decorations in each room. Decorations easily turn to clutter which eats up equity.
- Be careful with candle displays and lit fireplaces– they cause accidents.
- Stow your holiday collections. Definitely don’t get out your collections of nutcrackers, Santa’s or other holiday display items that distract your buyers. These are the reasons buyers leave a house and ask their Realtor, “Was there a fireplace in the living room? I was so busy looking at their stuff, I don’t remember.”
- Bake up an offer. Finally, a freshly baked slice-and-bake cookies on the counter are a quick way to make the house smell fabulous and are a great way to win over the buyers – and hungry Realtors! Refreshments can help, too, so have some bottled water or anything else bottled or canned. Buyers get hungry and thirsty when out looking for the right house. Be sure to provide them with some napkins and it will keep them lingering in your home longer. Make sure your kitchen is spic-and-span spotless because while hanging out, they will notice everything!
Don’t wait to sell your home over the holidays
Remember, selling your Overland Park home over the holidays isn’t that much different than any other time of the year. There’s still time but you’ve got to get your home on the market NOW. I sold 13967 W. 146th Street in Olathe, KS on Christmas Eve with multiple offers. What a perfect Christmas gift for her!!!
For that reason, it’s a great time to sell since January is the busiest month for corporate relocations. Many people who are relocating to Kansas City are in town starting their search for the perfect home to buy.
Use these simple holiday home staging rules to prepare your home for sale. It will stand out from your competition so you win the home selling game over the holiday season. One more house SOLD FAST is good for everyone!
I hope these tips will help you understand how to sell your house over the holidays. If you want to sell your Overland Park home over the holidays, I can help. My home staging strategies give your home that model home look all buyers want so your home sells faster and for more money. Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 or contact me here. The best part? My Home Staging services are FREE to all of my clients when they sell with Mel!
What’s your home worth in today’s market?
Also, here’s an easy way to find out what’s going with prices in your neighborhood. Click here and enter your address and a report from our local Heartland MLS will be sent directly to your email!
Looking for a house to buy in Overland Park?
Finally, be sure to check out today’s new listings either below or in the sidebar. Call or text me at (913) 515-3250 to see inside one of these homes. I AM NEVER TOO BUSY to show you a house. Real estate is my main hustle after 35 years! Everything else I do is bells and whistles to enhance your experience!
- List View
- Map View
See all Real estate matching your search.
(all data current as of 11/30/2023)
Listing information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. Read full disclaimer.